Thursday, May 7, 2015

If You Have Google Drive Installed on Your Computer, This Is a MUST Do!

At the beginning of the 2014-2015 school year, we did a big push to move staff from saving directly to their computer to saving directly to Google Drive as part of our Google Apps for Education initiative. With this, we first had to install Google Drive on all staff computers. Then, throughout the first semester I provided ample training opportunities to help the staff make the switch. View my "How To" presentation, as well as the final reminder video that were used as part of the transition.

Throughout this transition process, we have definitely learned a few things. One I just recently learned is how to enable the "Search" feature in Google Drive. (This applies to the software installed on your computer, NOT Drive via Google Chrome.) This is a MUST do for those who have Drive installed on their computers. I use my search feature daily to quickly pull up a file; by adjusting the settings as outlined below I can search all of my files on my computer's Google Drive just like I did in Windows My Documents.

STEP 1:
Open Google Drive.









STEP 2:
Click on "Organize" and then "Folder and Search Options." (NOTE: In Windows 8, open the Google Drive folder and select "View" and "Options" and then "change folder and search options." The remainder of the steps are the same.)


STEP 3:
Click on the "Search" tab and then check the box "Don't use the index when searching in file folders for system files." Make sure you click "Apply" before clicking "OK."


1 comment:

  1. Love this tip, April! I was always so annoyed when I couldn't find anything on Google Drive using the search function. Now it works! Thanks!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete